Monday, June 1, 2009

Deployments Suck.


On May 21 I saw my good friend, Joe (a.k.a. The Marine) off as he left for Afghanistan. I have never been in a situation quite like that before. I was not prepared for all of the families to be there...I mean it makes perfect sense that the children of these soldiers would be there but I just was not prepared. It was incredibly emotional and somewhat surreal. I got the gnarliest chills as the buses headed out and all of the soldiers family & friends began to clap. I was there with his Mom who as you can totally understand, needed a hug. Being a mother myself I stood there hugging her for a minute and my heart was broken for her. I can not imagine how she felt at that moment. It really changed the way I see the sacrifices that our military men and women make to protect our freedom. I know it is cliche' but freedom is not free.

Since he left I have been in frequent contact with him. He is safe and doing fine. He is not digging the extreme temperatures but says he is adjusting. He wanted me to pass on his thanks for all the support, love, and prayers that everyone has offered him. Please continue to pray for him and his family.

He will be back in January but til then...we will be missing miss our friend & sending lots of care packages filled with love & prayers! <3


from a weeks ago:

from a few months ago:

4 sArAh...

No comments: